We’ve all been there. It’s the middle of the week, you just got home from work, and because of kids/pets/life, your house looks like a Sharknado ran through it. What gives? You just cleaned it, uh, wait… when was Easter? No matter, here’s what we’re going to do: Pretend to clean. A top-to-bottom house scrub isn’t in the cards today (or tomorrow). We just need to make your home look like it’s clean. Here are a few easy tricks to make your house seem less messy:
- Concentrate on the common areas
- Cleaning every room in the house is a daunting, time-consuming task. Let’s not do that. Let’s take all the clutter and unnecessary storage in your Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen, and other common areas and put it in less-used rooms. Out of sight, out of mind!
- Put plants everywhere
- Extra clutter is a distraction; plants, however, are a decoration. Plus, if all your surfaces are occupied by plants, you won’t have anywhere to set down your junk (and you’ll have to actually take care of it!)
- Make your bed
- Give your Bedroom that “I totally planned this” look by keeping your sheets and blankets looking neat.
- Always be carrying something
- Walking from the Dining Room into the Kitchen? Grab that cup that’s been on the table since Tuesday. Take the opportunity to transport your stuff from where it shouldn’t be to where it should.
- Carry and quickly run a feather duster over surfaces as you walk by
- Use two “welcome” door mats
- Place one outside and one inside to help clean up foot traffic and prevent excess dirt and debris from getting in your carpeted and tile floors.
- Get your carpet traffic lanes touched up
- Periodic cleaning in between full deep cleanings will keep your oft-traveled areas from getting dirtier than the rest of the carpet. Plus, you’ll get that “clean carpet” smell you can’t get anywhere else!
With kids and pets and parties and life, it’s no small feat keeping a home clean! With a few sly tricks and a little forethought, however, you can make keeping a clean home Simple & Quick.